Garry's Mod won't start / I'm crashing!
Please see Crash Reporting.
Everything's really slow
If your computer can't handle Garry's Mod, things will often be slow. Alternatively, you might have spawned a lot of props or constraints. Try removing some and see if that speeds things up.
Weird shapes, colours, or other weirdness
Your Graphics card is either overheating or failing. Let your PC cool down.
How do I create a custom spawnlist?
- Right click on the left of the Q menu. Create a new category
- Right click on the newly created category, from here you can edit(rename, change icon) or delete it. You can also create more categories within it.
- Once you name your category, click the save button at the top.
- From there, you find the props you would like to add into the category, select them by click-dragging over them, and then drag them into it. You need to drag them over the category name, and then to the right into the spawnicon area.
- To add headers into your list, right click on the category name(or click that little [...] icon on the bottom) and click edit, then click and drag the icon into your list. Double click it to rename it.
- Make sure to click again when you are satisfied.
- Don't forget to save
Why do I keep seeing purple and black objects?
If you're seeing black and purple, you are missing the texture for a certain object or part of the map. This can be caused by faulty installations or downloads of addons or games the server has mounted that you haven't.
How do I update my textures for other source games (Validating Files)?
You will first need to follow the detailed set of instructions.
- Open up your steam library (where you view your games)
- Right click on the game that you want the textures on Gmod to be updated and click "Properties"
- Click on the "LOCAL FILES" tab, in there click on the button "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE..."
- Wait for it to finish validating the steam files.
- Once Finished with the validation process, complete all other necessary things it asks for on the screen.
- Finally, close steam, restart your computer, and then play Gmod without any missing textures.
Why do I have big red error signs in my game?
The big red error sign is the Source Engines way of telling you that you are missing a game model. This may be caused by a gamemode or addon of the server that you are missing or a server-mounted game that is not mounted for you. As of now, Garry's Mod ships with low-res replacement textures/models for essential games like CS:S so you won't be seing an error model for those.
What about my old addons?
Your addon may have been copied from Garry's Mod 12 to 13. It is most likely now incompatible. Garry's Mod 13 introduced a massive number of changes, most of which render addons created for Garry's Mod 12 incompatible with 13. Please make sure your addon is up to date.
I installed a new Gmod 13 addon, why do I keep getting errors?
You should report these errors to the developer of the addon, along with any information you can provide to help recreate the errors. This will help the developer fix the errors. Do not ask Garry to fix the addon, as he didn't create it.
I got an update and now my game doesn't work properly, what shall I do?
Sometimes an update to Garry's Mod or the underlying TF2 engine on which it is based will break part of the game, causing the addon to break as well. Garry may provide a fix for this, but otherwise it is up to the developer to fix the addon.
Some text isn't appearing in my language! / This translation is wrong!
Some addons are only available in English. Alternatively, if you can provide a better translation, visit http://translate.garrysmod.com/.
Can I find the older versions of Garry's Mod somewhere?
Gmod 9 can still be found on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/90024/
Please notice that NO SUPPORT will be given for old versions.