Workshop Addon Creation
Creating a Workshop Addon
This article will teach you how to prepare and upload an addon to the Steam Workshop.
Before you begin
There are a few rules before you start uploading addons.
- Do not upload multi-part addons. What this means is that if your addon won't fit in a single addon - do not upload it.
- Avoid requiring other addons. In some cases this is permissable - like if it's an addon for a gamemode. But making a weapon that requires another weapon to function is not allowed. If your addon does require another addon - it shouldn't error if that addon isn't present. It should just do nothing. Erroring addons get removed - even if it is user error.
- Avoid uploading packs - unless they're all your work. A pack of your maps is fine. A pack of maps you found that you think are cool is not fine. A pack of your weapons are fine. A pack of cool weapons you downloaded is not fine.
- Make an effort with the thumb - addons with blank or irrelevant thumbnails get banned. If you can't be bothered to make an icon for it then don't bother uploading it.
- Do not reupload addons - Reuploaded addons will be taken down. Search workshop before uploading.
- Do not release stolen code - All addons that are proven to have stolen code will also be taken down.
To upload an addon to workshop you will need next things:
- A folder anywhere on your computer containing addon files
- A 512x512 .jpg icon for your addon.
- Latest Garry's Workshop Publisher
If you're going to make your addon public, please make sure it's unique and will add something new to Garry's Mod. Don't upload addons you didn't make, even fixed versions, without the author's consent.
Folder with addon files
The structure of addon for steam workshop has several differences from the classic addon system of Garry's Mod 12:
- info.txt is not needed
- .txt files are restricted, except vehicle scripts
- .dll, .htm, .html, .css and .js files are restricted as well
You addon folder structure must look somewhat like this: (below is just an example)
myAddon is the folder you will need to specify in the workshopper and it's name could be anything, since addon's name is defined in the workshopper and NOT by the folder name.
This must be a 512x512 JPG image. Do not use an image unrelated to your addon - this is stupid and will probably get it removed. Express your addon in image form.
Make it beautiful. Please don't just stitch together something horrible in MS Paint. It should look good, otherwise you'll be making the workshop look dirty. Besides, who wants to download something that looks like a three-year-old made it?
Garry's Workshop Publisher
Click 'Create New Addon' at the bottom right corner and a new page will be opened. Fill the fields according to the rules on the left. Note, that titles must be at least 3 characters long and descriptions are purely optional.
On the second page you must set an icon for your addon, which must be 512x512 jpeg image. Otherwise the tool won't show the icon you have chosen and won't let you upload your addon with reason 'No preview image'. If everything is done correctly, the chosen image will be shown instead of a question mark.
On the next page you will need to specify path to your addon files. After you have done that, a file list will appear and any file with red text is invalid and should be removed/fixed. (Either in wrong place or filetype restricted) If you don't, the tool will error with 'No Files or Invalid Files'.
On the fifth page you can select the games your addon requires. It is completely optional, but if you do use it, let users know in the description of your addon, which games they need.
On the last page the tool will check if your addon is valid or not. If it is, it will start uploading process (Upon clicking Finish), if the addon is invalid, it will print out the errors messages in red. You will have to fix them in order to successfully upload your addon.
Once the upload is finished, the workshop page of your uploaded addon will be opened in your default web browser.
After Going Live
Please make sure your addon isn't creating errors for people. If your addon is creating too many errors it will be removed.
You can check for addon errors by visiting this site.